Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Katha 02 – Man, bucket and water – B


One man used to get half bucketful of water every day. So every day he used to say, I am a happy man. Today I got half bucketful of water.

One man used to get half bucketful of water every day. Every day he used to say, I get only half bucketful of water. I am not satisfied. When will I get full bucketful of water?
(These lines are similar to the famous example of Half-full Glass of Water.)

And there was another man who used to get half bucketful of water every day.
But seeing the bucket half full and half empty he couldn’t decide whether he was happy and satisfied or unhappy and unsatisfied. Or, happy but unsatisfied or unhappy but satisfied (whatever that means).

There was a man. He used to get half bucketful of water every day.
So every day he used to say, I am not satisfied. What should I do?
Then he brought a smaller bucket. It was full with the same amount of water.
So he said, now I am satisfied. I have full bucket of water.

One man used to get half bucketful of water every day.
So, instead of one big bucket he brought two small buckets.
Now he was getting one (small) bucketful of water.
But another bucket always remained empty.
So he was very satisfied with one full bucket of water. But he was equally unsatisfied with second empty bucket.

One man used to get half bucketful of water every day.
In exchange of larger bucket he brought a smaller bucket. Now it was full with the same amount of water. But he was not satisfied. Why? He didn’t know. So, he brought another bucket. Now he had two small buckets.
Now he was getting one (small) bucketful of water.
But another bucket always remained empty. So he knew now why he was unsatisfied.
Not a bucket but he brought a reason to be unsatisfied.
Then, he thought, as an afterthought, I needed more water, not the bucket. I should have asked for extra water instead of bringing another bucket.
Then again he thought, as every afterthought, this thought was also useless. But he was unhappy all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment